Villegas withdraws from frosty Phoenix Open

PHOENIX: Colombian Camilo Villegas withdrew from the US PGA Phoenix Open on Friday because of a back injury as heavy frost delayed the start of the $6.1 million event for the second day in a row.

Villegas, who opened with a 78 in round one, was playing alongside two other South American stars, Argentina's Angel Cabrera and Venezuelan Jhonattan Vegas, in a feature group.

"I first felt some tightness last week, but the colder temperatures here this week have affected it," Villegas said. "It's early in the season and I want to be careful to not do something that could affect me longer term.

"I'm disappointed because I got off to a very strong start here in Phoenix last year and was looking forward to building on that, but I obviously have to do the smart thing as it relates to my health for the remainder of the season."

Australian Greg Chalmers withdrew on Thursday with a hand injury.

Unusual cold conditions and morning frost pushed back resumption of the opening round Friday morning with 66 players yet to finish round one, none of them having completed more than nine holes and some as few as two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barcelona beat Atletico Madrid 3-0, set record

Giraldo reaches first ATP final in Santiago

I will retire from East Bengal, says Bhutia