Rose withers with poor putting display at Torrey Pines

SAN DIEGO: Britain's Justin Rose fumed with frustration after he undermined a superb display of shot-making with a balky putter in Saturday's third round of the PGA Tour event in San Diego.

A double winner on the US circuit, the 30-year-old Englishman coped well with the firm, fast-running fairways on the South Course at Torrey Pines but he totalled 32 putts on the greens.

"I am so frustrated," Rose said after he carded a level-par 72 to finish a sun-drenched day 10 strokes off the lead.

"I am playing so well right now and that should have been a 66 for me out there today. I must have missed 12 putts inside six feet this week."

Rose offset two birdies with two bogeys, one of them a three-putt from seven feet at the par-five sixth where he had lined up a birdie chance.

"I know everyone is missing one or two (putts) but this is unbelievable," he said after posting a two-under total of 214. "I am so frustrated with the putter right now and it's hard to be positive about that.

"I am playing so well but it's hard to keep foraging forward in the tournament when you are kicking yourself in the teeth so many times. I am trying to be patient out there."

Rose, who clinched his first PGA Tour title at last year's Memorial tournament before adding a second at the AT&T National the following month, said the speed of his putts was the problem.

PUTTING SPEED

"There's nothing wrong with the stroke," he added. "My speed's not good. I am hitting through the break and then I try and over-read one and then I die (lag) it too much.

"Like that last hole," he said, referring to the par-five ninth. "I had eight feet right up there (for birdie) and I leave it an inch short in the middle.

"I'm just not running the ball with the right speed and obviously speed is critical when you are choosing your line."

Rose, a four-times winner on the European Tour, said his putting has been streaky in recent ! years. < br>
"I've just got to be patient," he added. "It will get hot. I know I am a good putter. It's just that I have high expectations. I read the greens well and I do a lot of things well. It's just not quite adding up right now."

After finishing the third round, Rose sought out American Brandt Snedeker for some advice on how to putt the poa annua (grass) greens at Torrey Pines.

"Got some good insights! Hope they pay off!! He can roll it!!!!" Rose tweeted. Snedeker, who will start Sunday's final round in a tie for seventh place, needed only 25 putts in the opening round at Torrey Pines and has a good track record on the greens at the coastal venue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barcelona beat Atletico Madrid 3-0, set record

Giraldo reaches first ATP final in Santiago

I will retire from East Bengal, says Bhutia