Tiger tamer Vegas stays on his dream PGA Tour ride

SAN DIEGO: The dream ride taken by Venezuela's Jhonattan Vegas on the 2011 PGA Tour showed no sign of stopping on Saturday when he upstaged former world number one Tiger Woods.

Vegas, who won last week's Bob Hope Classic in only his fifth start on the U.S. circuit, outscored Woods by five shots after they played together in the third round of the PGA event in San Diego.

The 26-year-old rookie from Maturin fired a three-under-par 69 to end a sun-kissed day at Torrey Pines three strokes off the lead while Woods tumbled out of contention with an erratic 74.

"It's been a lot of fun," the ever-smiling Vegas told reporters after three birdies in the last six holes gave him a nine-under total of 207 on a firm and fast-running South Course.

"It's always a lot of fun playing great and I feel like I'm playing pretty good golf right now. Today was an incredible day playing alongside Tiger Woods. I really enjoyed it a lot."

Vegas, who had not met Woods until this week, said he engaged the 14-times major champion in "some brief conversations" during the third round.

"Normal stuff, light stuff," he added. "But it was great just walking alongside of him. It's an honour just to be playing a round with Tiger Woods."

Asked how he had prepared for his first round in the company of the greatest player of this generation, Vegas replied: "I don't think you can prepare for that.

STAYING FOCUSED

"I just tried to really stay focused on what I was doing. I know I've been hitting really good shots. It's not easy with the crowd and everything ... but I just enjoyed it. I'm loving every moment of it and this moment especially."

Vegas, who won the Bob Hope Classic in a dramatic three-way playoff six days ago, has not been surprised by the high quality of his play over the last two weeks.

"I've always dreamed of being here," said the beefy Venezuelan, who is already one of the longest hitters on the PGA Tour.
"I a lways knew that I had the opportunity to play here and play well. And so I'm just living my dream, just loving it. I'm having a great time and making a lot of birdies."

Vegas trails co-leaders Phil Mickelson and Bill Haas by three strokes going into Sunday's final round at Torrey Pines where he plans to draw on his success of last week.

"It's a huge confidence booster being able to play well on Sunday, especially a week ago," he said. "It's that confidence, you've just got to keep it going.

"You've got to keep doing your best, and hopefully things will turn out pretty good."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barcelona beat Atletico Madrid 3-0, set record

Giraldo reaches first ATP final in Santiago

I will retire from East Bengal, says Bhutia